Monday, January 7, 2013

New Year Resolution - Empty your cup !!!

Print Friendly and PDF
I most certainly belong to the group of people who do not believe in making new year resolutions. I used to though make them once upon a time. Then as time progressed and got so busy and tied down by the demands of a busy household of 4 us two and our 2 kids. A job, a blog, baker on the side and being devoted to be a good mother, a good wife, a good daughter, a good sister, a good daughter in law ,a  good friend and  a good citizen of this world..Phew !!!  (I'm sure if not all, most of us home makers, stay at home moms, and working moms feel what I feel)  You see where this is going, right..yes No time to make any resolutions as such..for fear of not being able to be committed enough and see the heartache of breaking them one by one..and feel the guilt and pain  that follows. Who has the time and stamina for that.  

But one fine day after a very tiring and hectic day, as I was lazily scrolling through my FB posts, I came upon this wonderful and exciting project - The fifty-2 weeks of 2013. You can read about it here. The very first theme for the 1st week of this project is "New Year Resolutions"...I am such a procrastinator..I'm doing it the very last day. The new theme will be announced tomorrow. So If anyone of you are still interested I highly recommend doing this exercise for yourself..It feels good. If nothing it makes one think and wonder. Wow..what do I really want to do this year. A little bit of soul searching and you will be amazed as what you will come up with. 




Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen. Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.
The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!" 
"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?" ...Courtesy of Wikipedia

  •  My resolution this year is to be able to empty my filled up and over flowing cup(life) with things that are not important to my growth and well being of my family and loved ones. Fill it up with new possibilities , new beliefs (and let go of the old and redundant beliefs), new passions(read hobbies), new energy. Be receptive to change and embrace new ideas. Be able to let go of fear, anger, frustration , to be able to step outside my comfort zone from time to time , to challenge myself.  
  • Fill this empty cup with one random act of kindness a day. I'm very curious and so excited  to see how this cup fills up with my random acts of kindness by the end of this year.  
Maybe it takes a lifetime for a person to achieve a Zen like state, but every step towards it will be a path to be a Better Me and that's what I'm aiming for. 

Sending my entry to this awesome The fifty-two weeks of 2013 Project. Would love to hear from you all and maybe you could share your new new resolutions with me as well.

9 comments:

  1. I like the idea of doing a something kind everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finla for taking the time to read my post here. I'm super excited about the random act of kindness as well. Have been trying to keep this up for the last 3 days..Hoping this habit will continue.

      Delete
  2. If we can achieve that our empty cup can be filled even a little, and we get plus points in books of the Gods, we shall consider ourselves worthy of living.
    Best luck with your resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lata for this awesome opportunity. In fact I was inspired when I saw your post and then I saw Finla's post about this project. You have both inspired me. Absolutely agree with you even if this cup fills a little it will be worthy a cause to have tried and serve God the best way one can to be good/kind to its people.

      Delete
  3. Being kind to other does make us a better person. It gets rid of those unwanted emotions that lingers and destroys us slowly. Good luck Dolly and wishing you a spectacular New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RV for your encouraging words. In fact when you see so many unpleasant things/events around you day in and day out, I pray to God each day to fill each of us with a little more kindness. Just being a little kinder to one another would make this world a lot better place to live in. Wishing you a spectacular New Year as well.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful, wonderful way to incorporate change in your life, Dolly.....good luck with being able to do all that you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayashree..right now I'm in the process of emptying my cup - One day at a time.

      Delete
  5. loved it ; let the cup brim-meth with all things bright n beautiful

    ReplyDelete